A Respectable list of the 50 Greatest Unremembered Films.
rusty's list o' cinematic tastiness.
- Harold and Maude
- an eccentric 70s film about a kid with an obsession with death
and a starvation for attention. soundtrack by Cat Stevens. the boy
meets an equally but more experienced eccentric, and the film follows
- Les City des Enfants Perdu, (The City of Lost Children)
- terrifically french, i've only seen it with subtitles. this movie
is visual and surreal, including a dwarf woman, a man with no soul,
a brain with no body, a mad scientist, and seven twins with sleeping
sickness. throw in the little french girl (all good french films have
a small girl to be the object of pedophilic allusions) and the muscle
man (ron perlman, who it turns out doesn't speak french too well.) and
you've got one fine film.
- same folks that brought you City of Lost Children, this a quasi
post-apocalyptic story about a boarding house with an extra incentive
for paying up on time.
- Better off Dead
- john cusack and the eighties. what can you say. it should come
right after The Breakfast Club in terms of jewels of the eighties.
- take 1984, throw in more amusing satire and a catchy theme song.
- Tank Girl
- a definite comic-gone-movie phenomenon. Ice-T as a mutant Kangaroo
only adds to the fun.
- Like Water for Chocolate
- it's all in the mole sauce. sensual cooking and star-crossed lovers
succeed in making this classic foreign film engaging from start to finish.
you only think you're watching a staunch classic until gertrudis steals
away to the rebellion in her birthday suit.
- brought to you by the same folks who made "Welcome to the Dollhouse".
i can't exactly say that it is an enjoyable movie in the purest sense
of the word enjoy. it's a good movie. it will make you think, squirm,
question things you may have taken for granted -- it is well crafted
to meet these ends. do not, i repeat, do not take a date to this movie.
I have seen only a few of these movies, but
I trust Lawrence Toppman's reviews, certainly more than the reviews in Houston
here without any permission whatsoever.
The Miracle of Morgan's Creek
Some Like It Hot
This is Spinal Tap
Days of Wine and Roses
Nothing But a Man
The Sweet Smell of Success
The Night of the Hunter
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers
Touch of Evil
The Shop Around the Corner
The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T (Dr. Seuss)
Hoppity Goes to Town
Intruder in the Dust
The Secret of NIMH
Jason and the Argonauts
All Quiet on the Western Front
I Am a Fugitive from From a Chain Gang
The Last Picture Show
The Roaring Twenties
Cabin in the Sky
The Great Caruso
Hallelujah, I'm a Bum
The Man From Laramie
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Ox-bow Incident
Ride the High Country
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Panama Deception
The Thin Blue Line